Friday 31 December 2010

Deus in machina*

When Stuart placed the bambino Jesus in the crib, he reached over the wall and into the scene. And I mused, possibly less coherently than I'm stating it now: "It looks very deus ex machina; the incarnation wasn't like that." But not until I saw The Nativity, all 4 lots of 30 minutes of it today, had I ever really considered the sheer biological and emotional messiness of it all. God is not outside the machine, setting it whirring and dispassionately observing or even ignoring it; God is fully, intimately involved.

I was going to write more, but I'm tired and it's all gone right out of my head. Probably over-excitement engendered by Ian's excellent quiz. Who knew that Burnley Miners' Club is the world's biggest single consumer of Bénédictine liqueur?

* Deus ex machina doesn't really have an opposite in this sense, but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment