Thursday 14 April 2011

Video diary

It seems like a good idea to take regular photos and videos from the same spot, to see how Mucknell changes over time. So far I've shot two videos, both 360° pans around the north side of the estate, from roughly the same spot on the bank above the garth.

The first I shot on 7 November 2010, shortly after we moved in. It has no commentary and was very hand-held.



The second was on 8 April, i.e. about a week ago, with some basic explanatory commentary and zoomed in slightly. I tried using a tripod this time, but unfortunately it judders very noisily, and I kicked it at one point! So no Oscars for me any time soon, but maybe there's a Razzie for worst home video.



The main changes that I can see are: the main doors had not been hung in November; there are extra green tubes of tree-planting; the autumnal colours have become spring green and blossom; the grass has grown a bit; and oil seed rape has appeared in the garth. So I'm not sure we're going to see any dramatic changes; it'll be a bit like watching trees grow. I might try a couple in the courtyard and the south side, reverting to my steady hand cam.

5 comments:

  1. Realy enjoyed the videos, lovely to get a sense of things changing and growing. Thanks for your blog, have enjoyed following your reflections.
    Kate Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting! Looking forward to regular video update/commentary/webcasts! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting!
    I'm surprised at how close together the trees have been planted. Also could you say a little more about . . . . did you call it the Garth burial ground?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trees are planted 'naturally' rather than in straight lines, and are close together because not all are expected to survive.
    The garth aka the burial ground hasn't been used yet! It's roughly circular, with a bank around the back and a mound in the middle. You can see the trees on the bank, but I'm not sure what is planned for the mound beyond wild flowers. We've planted a couple of juvenile yews, which one day will form a gateway to the southwest.

    ReplyDelete