Monday 11 April 2011

Listen now again.

I sat in the courtyard to drink my morning cuppa and watch three swallows chittering and fighting acrobatically. I suspect three constitutes a crowd. Sadly (for them) the sewing room is more weatherproof than this time last year, and no longer available as a nidification* site. Over the past few days, they have been flying round and round the building trying to find it. Now I think they have given up, and just rest on the roof of the utility room nearby. We have plenty of other options for them. I think the car port might be suitable, which will mean finding some strategic plastic sheeting.

After a spell of glorious glorious weather, it clouded over and got windy in the afternoon. But today's frontal rain passed to the north of us. We might get a spot overnight, or on Wednesday or Friday. I thought I'd mention Seamus Heaney's "The Rain Stick" at this point, and just found it published in an American medical journal. More poetry in scientific and medical publications, please. Thank you.

* Nesting; learnt from Gilbert White. Why use a common Anglo-Saxon word when a polysyllabic Latinate alternative suffices?

1 comment:

  1. 13 April - It's Heaney's birthday today, not to mention that of Samuel Beckett and two other Nobel laureates. But seven laureates were born on 28 February and 21 May, and none on my birthday. I don't think there's a pattern there!

    ReplyDelete