Thursday 26 August 2010

Preparing for moving

The electrician came yesterday to fit new heating controls and thermostat, and do the electrical safety tests I need for letting - a moral rather than a legal requirement.  Of course, the fuse box didn't have enough RCDs which meant a new fuse box, and the bathroom light wasn't right which meant a new light, and it all added up to a nice big bill.  This afternoon the plumber should be coming to fit TRVs, sort out a couple of dripping taps, service the boiler and do the gas safety tests.  I'm expecting another hefty bill.  But I want to get the house as right as it can be for my tenants, while I'm still in it, and I want to encourage them to have a small carbon footprint.

I've spent the last few days sorting stuff  - what I'm taking with me to Mucknell, what is going into storage, what is for the tip, charity shops, recycling and the bin.  I didn't think I had all that much stuff, except books, but I was wrong!  I've accumulated junk with the best of them since I moved into house ownership.  So I'm trying to aim for a bit of simplicity and err on the side of not taking stuff to Mucknell... except books!

No comments:

Post a Comment